The latest in web site development projects, this was a redesign for a hair salon located in Johnson City, NY. Some of the major complaints with the previous design included (designer note to self — always save screen shots of the old site for times like this! …Live and learn…):
- Design: Keith Johnson, the salon owner, wanted a more upscale rich feel. He also wanted the colors based off his current logo (browns, tans, gold), which the current site was not doing.
- Functionality: The site was broken in several places – text was illegible, and overall it was hard to navigate.
- Content: Keith wanted to remove the focus from some of the site’s current content (repetitive event listings, old events, etc…) and instead highlight salon products available for sale, stylists bios, and full menu of services.
- Mobile Design: The old site was not optimized for mobile devices — With more than 55% of people accessing the web through smartphones, 31% of those users say that is the only way they surf the net (according to Pew Internet). I needed to design a site that looked great both on a desktop/laptop, as well as on the latest iPhone/iPad/Android.
- Social Media: Facebook mentions needed to be prominent, and included in as many pages that made sense.
After several rounds of discussions I decided on a WordPress theme that I thought was clean, simple, and would highlight the key information in a eye-catching way: Virtue, from Kadence Themes. This theme is free, and gives an amazing amount of options for custom design (fonts, colors, layout).
And the final result!: www.friendsandcompanyhairsalon.com.